The practice of medicine is about treating the whole person, not just the symptoms. This philosophy is not new to UPMC McKeesport.
At UPMC McKeesport, the Family Medicine program received Osteopathic Recognition from the ACGME in 2019.
The program uses Osteopathic principles and emphasizes a patient-centered approach to deliver both Family and Osteopathic Medicine.
Highlights of our Osteopathic Curriculum include:
- Osteopathic lectures are presented to our interns during their intern return lecture series.
- Lectures are also integrated into our CORE lecture curriculum.
- Osteopathic Journal Club presented by residents and faculty.
- Dedicated precepting for OMT at our outpatient offices.
- OMT clinics at our outpatient office.
- We also have guest lecturers from other residency programs as well as PCOM who provide faculty development along with resident hands-on sessions.
- There is also a board review that occurs to prepare for the ACOFP boards that include OMT mock practical.
- Residents have opportunities to present at the UPMC SCHOLAR conference as well as national conferences.
We currently have two Osteopathic faculty that help to precept and facilitate the OMT clinic.
We receive referrals within our clinic from both faculty and residents.